Living with Multiple Sclerosis
At CareMatch, we understand that multiple sclerosis affects every sufferer differently, and whilst it most commonly occurs in younger people, the symptoms can present themselves at any age. At CareMatch, we understand that multiple sclerosis not only presents enormous physical and practical challenges, but psychological ones as well, to both Care Receivers and those around them. Our trained Carer Members have specialist experience in looking after individuals with multiple sclerosis. We understand that the help our Carer Members provide must be tailored specifically to a Care Receiver’s needs, and we are able to offer specialised help and support as a Care Receiver’s condition progresses.
Many individuals with multiple sclerosis feel more comfortable receiving care at home so that they’re not separated from family, friends and their familiar surroundings. Adapting to life with multiple sclerosis can be extremely challenging, particularly as it worsens over time and Care Receivers gradually lose the ability to do things for themselves. This can be particularly frustrating for young people who are less physically able than those around them, and losing this element of independence can have a real impact on a Care Receiver’s mental wellbeing, and can be very distressing for their loved ones.
At CareMatch, we know that Care Receivers with multiple sclerosis may have more complex needs and require extra patience and assistance with very simple tasks, especially if they are young, and we want to nurture them to embrace life in whatever way possible. It can be hugely beneficial to Care Receivers with multiple sclerosis to have a familiar face around the house, who is there to provide reassurance and companionship as well as physical and practical care. Our highly-skilled Carer Members are able to offer high quality care at home, including palliative and end of life care where necessary, to try and reduce the impact that the symptoms have on a Care Receiver’s life, so that they can experience the most comfortable care journey possible.
If you are the regular care giver for someone with multiple sclerosis, we understand that it is easy to feel emotional, overwhelmed and alone. At CareMatch, our team of experienced Carer Members are on hand to offer help and support, so that you don’t feel you are caring for someone by yourself, and the Care Receiver can have the best care journey possible.
What does multiple sclerosis care include?
It totally depends on a client’s symptoms. These are some of the things that our highly experienced Carer Members can help with.
- Help with administering medication if necessary
- Low-support medical care
- Personal care, such as help with getting dressed, going to the toilet, having a bath or eating a meal
- Mobility support and physical assistance, including help with things like eating
- Assistance if a Care Receiver has problems with their vision and speech
- Mental support and reassurance
- Help with household tasks, such as the laundry, cooking meals or walking the dog
- Running essential errands, for example collecting your medication or doing a food shop
- Companionship - Sometimes the smallest things make the biggest difference. It's important for Care Receivers with neurological conditions to have a friendly face around the house who is there for a cup of tea and a chat as well as to offer more physical support
- Overnight Care - If Care Receivers with multiple sclerosis wake up in the night, they can be very dizzy and confused when they do and unable to get out of bed on their own. Our Carer Members are on hand to offer help and reassurance during the night to ensure a Care Receiver’s safety and alleviate any anxieties or discomfort
- Respite Care - If you are a Care Receiver’s regular care giver, and you need some extra support or some time off, our team of Carer Members can step in and help and give you the peace of mind knowing that your Care Receiver is receiving the high quality of care they are used to
Our specialist Carer Members have the necessary training and experience in working with Care Receivers with multiple sclerosis to ensure a high-quality care service that is tailored to them and their needs specifically. At CareMatch, we know that every moment counts, and we strive to enable our Care Receivers to live as independently as possible, at home for as long as they can.
It's quick and easy to find a carer - start receiving the care you deserve by searching for a carer today.FIND CARER